The Mission of the Concert Hall Research Group is to advance knowledge and understanding of acoustic design for music performance spaces, with an emphasis on larger spaces such as symphony halls and opera houses.
Main activities include:
- Research on subjective preferences of listeners, measurement methods, and acoustic modeling methods.
- Measurements of acoustics in halls.
- Summer Institutes – specialty conferences to exchange ideas between acoustic consultants in performing arts, faculty and researchers in architectural acoustics, and college students studying or interested in architectural acoustics.
Principle guidelines from founders:
- Maintain objectivity; avoid preferential treatment to any acoustical consultant, manufacturer, university, or researcher.
- No significant funds should go to any acoustic consulting firm or members of their staff.
- Affiliates of CHRG should not use the CHRG name for the purpose of marketing their firm, services, product, or themselves.